I really like pumpkins. I like how many varieties there are, I like their taste, how they look, how you can carve spooky faces into them. They are deadly! The region in Austria where I am from is super famous (I am using famous in the really-not-because-nobody-knows-where-Austria-even-is kind of sense) for Kürbiskernöl, or pumpkin seed oil. Austrians love to pour litres of pumpkin seed oil on their salads, we mix it with cream cheese as a spread, or simply dip bread into it.
See, pumpkins are very dear to me, and as soon as America got in the fall spirit and went crazy with posting pumpkin recipes, I was desperate to get my hands onto some here in Ireland. But oh no no….as it turns out Ireland doesn’t do pumpkins. At least not prior to or after Halloween anyways. And only after searching for days and weeks I found pumpkin puree being sold in the Fallon&Byrne shop…
To satisfy my craving I contented myself with butternut squash. I know, not pumpkin, not the same. But apparently in Australia, and only in Australia butternut squash is pretty much synonymous for pumpkins. So there you go…
This smoothie tastes as if autumn has punched you right in the face. It is so fragrant and the ultimate comfort food. Just a word of advice, it is incredibly filling and also quite thick and best eaten with a spoon. If you prefer your smoothies thinner, just add more liquid into the mix.
Butternut Squash Smoothie
- 1 cup roasted butternut squash*
- 1 medium sized banana
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp porridge oats
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 tbsp honey
- A dash of cinnamon
- A sprinkle of desiccated coconuts and a handful of almonds (optional)
- Put the squash, banana, coconut milk, almond milk, oats, flax seeds, honey and cinnamon in a blender and blend it like crazy.
- Pour the smoothie in a pretty bowl.
- Sprinkle with toppings.
* To roast the butternut squash, peel, de-core, and cut the squash into ~2cm cubes. Roast in a preheated oven at 200C for about 45 minutes until very soft.